The programmes are based on the philosophy that the essential purpose of Nursing and Midwifery Education is to achieve better health for the individual, family and community. These will be provided through;
Nursing and Midwifery Services, based on the following premises:
- Man is a biological, psychological, social and spiritual individual unit whose needs are an inherent part of his nature and therefore is affected by factors within his environment.
- Nurses and Midwives are primarily concerned with human life, the quality of the health of the individual, family group or community toward achievement of better health and consequently as a practice profession, must be firmly based on knowledge derived from the biological, physical and behavioural science relevant to the understanding of the human nature.
- The training emphasizes on Primary Health Care provisions which is fundamentally related to the availability, accessibility and affordability of both health and socio-economic resources.
- As potential Nurses and Midwives, students exists and share the same nature, humane and basic needs as the client/patient. They acquired Nursing/Midwifery knowledge, skills, attitudes and ethics to provide safe and effective health care.
- The client is capable of reasoning and he possesses basic ideas, beliefs and values which guide his actions. He is an active partner in the nursing/Midwifery care processes and participates in crucial decision making regarding his care and environment.
- Basic Nursing and Midwifery Education enable the Nurse/Midwife to develop skills in Nursing/Midwifery practice and encourage to continuously improving such practice by keeping abreast of current trends and concept in the practice of Nursing/Midwifery practice.
- Nursing/Midwifery Education is a systematic direction and guidance of the students in an institution approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
- The programmes are designed in continuous process of educational development to promote professional growth, competency and efficiency in achieving effective health care at all levels.